Responsible jewelry production & a sustainable future
Responsibility & a sustainable future
Our goal is to ensure a sustainable pattern within our business, from production to consumption.
At Julie Sandlau, we believe that everyone needs to take part in the journey of becoming more sustainable. While we understand this journey is ever-developing, and there will always be steps to take, we are well on our way.
Sustainability is an important part of the experience of buying a piece of Julie Sandlau jewelry. You are not just buying a piece of jewelry - you are investing in a sustainable statement.
The Responsible Jewellery Council
Since 2019, our factory has been a member of the Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC). In addition to joining a code of practices such as the United Nations Global Compact, RJC specifically focuses on a positive supply chain designed for the jewelry industry. By trading with other RJC members, we ensure the highest industry standard in sustainable production and procurement.
The factory was founded in 2005 in Hanoi, Vietnam, as a Danida supported project. Hundreds of local employees are educated in traditional Scandinavian goldsmithing traditions. This combination of superb craftsmanship, Danish design, and the newest technology guarantees the finest quality. Every step from A-Z takes place at the factory, with hands-on monitoring and quality control at every stage. Our Danish management team at the factory has developed several Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives that engage with the local community and offer education to the local staff. We take great pride in our team in Hanoi.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Responsibility is an absolute core value. The employees at our factory work in a safe and responsible environment where well-being, health, and education are of high priority. Everyone is offered the opportunity to be a member of a trade union and is offered several health benefits such as a healthy lunch, medical health check, mammography screening for all female employees, HIV and contraception counseling as well as hygiene and first aid courses. The factory has won the award for 'Best Workplace in Hanoi' several times among 1000 companies in the district.
Producing each piece of Julie Sandlau Jewelry in our factory gives us complete control of every single step of its creation. An important part of production is our thorough quality control. In between each step, thorough quality checks are carried out making sure that any jewelry with small errors is discarded. By the time each piece of jewelry is ready to leave the factory, it would have undergone at least nine quality checks. This is why Julie Sandlau jewelry is always of the highest quality.
The Kimberley Certification
All of our diamonds are certified with “The Kimberley Certificate of Origin". This certification, developed by the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), guarantees that the diamonds are not mined from conflict zones.
A life filled with sparkling memories.
One of the things we love about jewelry is that it never fades and can be inherited from generation to generation. Jewelry carries great memories and stories and if you take good care of it, it can last you an eternity. We strive to help our customers take care of their Julie Sandlau jewelry the best way possible. Instead of encouraging you to buy new jewelry, we want to help you care for your well-loved Julie Sandlau pieces. Our 16 concept stores offer a gold plating service, at reasonable prices, and specific guidance on how to give your jewelry a longer life. You are also invited to bring your pieces into our concept stores where we will clean them, free of charge, to make sure they always look their absolute best. We want you to carry your Julie Sandlau jewelry for many years to come and create sparkling memories. We believe that this is an important and responsible approach, as well as a necessary contradiction to the throwaway culture society has become used to.
Less Waste More Statement
To ensure an even greater focus on our responsibility in the jewelry industry, we create limited collections out of our leftover pearls and stones. This concept is called “Less Waste More Statement”.
Within jewelry production, there will always be excess materials, yet, instead of wasting them, we create exclusive limited collections - sometimes of only a few pieces. This allows us to ensure less waste as well as the optimal use of our resources. We call it: ”Less is More.”
Our sustainable commitments
◦ We only use recycled precious metals for all products.
◦ Our factory is a member of the Responsible Jewelry Council, which ensures a commitment to a responsible supply chain and implementation of responsible business practices.
◦ Full traceability and transparency throughout our supply chain - our factory in Hanoi, Vietnam is always open for visits.
◦ Resource efficiency – we use all our materials and create small, limited collections out of leftover pearls and stones to minimize waste and ensure the optimal use of resources. We call it: ”Less is More.”
◦ Long-term relationships with our suppliers throughout the entire supply chain.
◦ Every day, we are committed to making better choices across the business to minimize our environmental impact.
◦ We own every aspect of the production, including the factory. This way no part of production is outsourced, making us able to obtain full control of every step of the production and ensure the rights of the employees.
◦ All of our diamonds are certified with “The Kimberley Certificate of Origin”. This certification, developed by United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), guarantees that the diamonds are not mined from conflict zones.
◦ Produce high-quality, responsible jewelry that you can wear and love for as long as possible.
◦ We carbon compensate our CO2 emissions.
◦ Corporate Social Responsibility - safe and responsible working conditions for our staff working at our factory, where wellbeing, health, and education are of high priority.